Credit: David Imel / Android Authority
The OnePlus we see today isn’t the OnePlus we saw break onto the Android scene in 2014. A lot has changed. OnePlus phones cost more than they ever have. The cameras are getting better — actually rivaling the likes of Samsung this year — and we’re finding fewer compromises overall that used to plague the first few generations of OnePlus devices.
It’s been a little over one year since OnePlus released one of its most popular devices to date, the OnePlus 7 Pro. This phone has it all: an all-screen design, a pop-up camera, a 90Hz refresh rate, good battery life, solid software — I could go on. My colleague C Scott recently wrote a retrospective about the 7 Pro, claiming it’s his favorite Android phone ever. He asked our readers if they felt similarly about the OnePlus 7 Pro, and the results shouldn’t be all too surprising. People love this phone.
Is the OnePlus 7 Pro the best OnePlus phone to date?
Out of nearly 700 total votes, a staggering 75.64% of Android Authority readers said the OnePlus 7 Pro is the best OnePlus phone of all time — even beating out newer devices like the 7T, 7T Pro, 8, and 8 Pro.
Just 24.36% voted no, claiming the OnePlus 7 Pro is not the best OnePlus phone to date.
It’s not too difficult to see everyone’s reasoning here. The 7 Pro offered features and design improvements never before seen in OnePlus phones, and its price actually undercut many of its competitors when it launched last year. Newer OnePlus phones just don’t offer as much value as older devices like the 7 Pro.
Here’s what you had to say
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- rvermausa: Great Oneplus 7 Pro phone. I wish they could do similar to Samsung DeX then OnePlus devices would be the best.
- Bram Goodwin: I bought OP7T. Best if OP7PRO, cost less, faster chip.
- Dt Bell: I have to agree I got a 7 pro upgrade from a 3T (it was time, I liked the 3T) and the 7pro was a substantial upgrade.
After a year, it’s the best for me. 5G is at least 2years away from my area code, and only 1 soft upgrades will slow down this model..If 10’s a lucky number, It’ll be my next upgrade.
- SiloNova: I absolutely applaud this article. Every point you have made I totally agree with. I’m a day one owner of the 7 Pro. It is an amazing phone. I owned the Oneplus X beforehand, which was ace. But this is just incredible. Your opinion is the same as mine. Unless you’re a professional photographer, you’re gonna be blown away by the camera. Every person I’ve shown my phone too, they’re always blown away by the large, bright, uninterrupted display. My phone is just as fast as when I first got it, The fast charging is so handy to have if you ever need to juice up quick. I was a huge advocate for the pop-up camera in the early days of the 7 Pro, back around Nov 2018 when it was rumoured to have some sort of mechanical pop up camera. I defended Oneplus to no end on Twitter, telling people Oneplus will make sure it is reliable, long lasting, and water resistant. Not many people could see it. Now they all crying because they’ve ditched the pop up for a hole punch in the 8 series hahaha. I won’t be upgrading until the Oneplus 10 releases I reckon.
- Mark Sutton: I agree 100% on all points. I’ve had my one plus 7 pro for about a year as well. I love this phone and have no desire to upgrade at this point. Not having a wide bezel or selfie camera notch are now musts for me. I understand that like with all phones, I will eventually have to say goodbye but it’s not happening any time soon.
- the martian ambassador: I bought one of these last month. T-Mobile is selling the 8GB/256GB version for just $450. I like it better than my Note 9.
- ayaangoswami: The OnePlus 7 Pro is actually a pretty decent smartphone. The positive feedback with this device is almost unanimous.
- Ron Josiah: WOW! How awesome is that, I just got my refurbished OnePlus 7 Pro last week and now this article comes out today 😁👍I’m over the moon with this phone. Now I know why OnePlus created Zen mode. It’s near impossible to put this phone down for any significant amount of time.By the way that link you posted does not work here in the US, I get redirected to the home page and there are no current options to purchase the OnePlus 7 Pro.I got mine from eBay, from a seller/company called breedproducts. I only paid $399 for it and it is flawless, no defects or blemishes of any kind. I just had to order the Warp charger from Amazon since no sellers not in China could be found on eBay.
Great article, keep those OnePlus articles coming.
- Dawid: I’ve just ordered my 12GB 7 Pro and I’ve got a good feeling about this.I have been looking at the market for some time now and I’ve almost bought a Reno 2 as ‘sufficient enough’. But then 1 7 Pro caught my eye and I made the mistake of taking it into consideration…It was a last minute change of heart but I’ve coughed up another 241 EUR and ordered 7 Pro. I really hope it will be a good substitute to my dying iPhone 6s.
That’s it for this week. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below.