by Juli Clover
There are tons of hidden features and shortcuts for Macs that Apple has built into macOS over the years, ranging from shortcuts to keyboard commands to other little hacks to make Mac usage just a bit simpler. In our latest YouTube video, we highlighted several of these tips and tricks, and some of them might just be new to you.
- Transfer Files Fast – If you hold down “T” when your Mac is booting up, you can enter Target Disk Mode. In this mode, use a Thunderbolt 3 cable to transfer large files at fast speeds between two Macs.
- Paste With Style Matching – When pasting something, if you use Option-Shift-Command-V instead of just Command-V, you can transform the pasted content into the style of the content that already exists in a document. If you have a block of text that’s bold, for example, and then want to paste in text from the web and make it bolded too, you can use this keyboard shortcut.
- Turn a Website Into a Dock App – You can add any website to your dock by dragging the URL bar over to the bottom section of the dock that houses open and recently used apps. Adding a website to the dock makes it quicker to open because you can click from that spot alongside all your apps.
- Quick Print Shortcut – If you go to the Printers and Scanners section of System Preferences and drag the icon for your favorite printer to your desktop, you can then drag and drop files onto the printer icon to print them automatically.
- Screen Sharing in Messages – In a Messages conversation with someone, click on the “Details” link and then click on the icon that looks like two screens together to initiate screen sharing with the person who you’re talking to. This is super handy for troubleshooting problems for less tech savvy family members from afar, provided you can get them to click the screen sharing option.
- Preview Files From the Dock – In the Downloads or Documents folder on the Dock, hover your mouse over a file and then press the space bar to see a preview. This also works for selected files in Finder.
- See Where Files are Stored – If you have a Downloads or Documents folder on your dock, you can hold Command and click on a folder or file to display its location in Finder.
- Move Files Quickly – To move files from one location to another using keyboard shortcuts, just use Command-C to copy the files you want to move and then Option-Command-V to move those files to a new spot.
Know of other useful Mac tips and tricks that we didn’t cover here? Let us know in the comments and we might highlight them in a future video.
Wednesday May 27, 2020 4:27 pm PDT by Juli Clover
The next-generation iPhone 12 lineup coming in fall 2020 isn’t out yet, but Fudge (@choco_bit), a leaker who sometimes shares information on upcoming Apple devices, today offered up details on what Apple has in store for the 2021 iPhone 13’s camera setup.
A simple design drawing depicts a device with a four camera array, which Fudge claims will have the following features: 64-megapixel…
Apple will use a Lightning port instead of USB-C in the upcoming “iPhone 12,” but it will be the last major series of Apple’s flagship phones to do so, with models set to combine wireless charging and a port-less Smart Connector system for data transfer and syncing in the iPhone “13 series” next year.
The above claim comes from occasional Apple leaker and Twitter user “Fudge” (@choco_bit),…
Apple plans to release several higher-end devices with Mini-LED displays in 2021, including a new 12.9-inch iPad Pro in the first quarter, a new 16-inch MacBook Pro in the second quarter, and a new 27-inch iMac in the second half of the year, according to Jeff Pu, an analyst at Chinese research firm GF Securities.
This timeframe lines up with one shared by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who recently…
Thursday May 28, 2020 9:50 pm PDT by Eric Slivka
Apple today began selling certified refurbished iPhone XR models in select colors and capacities for the first time in the United States. Refurbished iPhone XR models are priced at a roughly 16 percent discount compared to current pricing on brand-new units, knocking $100–120 off of the regular price.
In addition to the 64GB and 128GB capacities matching current brand-new iPhone XR models, …
Thursday May 28, 2020 8:13 am PDT by Eric Slivka
With the release of macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and related security updates for macOS Mojave and High Sierra earlier this week, Apple is making it more difficult for users to ignore available software updates and remain on their current operating system versions.
Included in the release notes for macOS Catalina 10.15.5 is the following:- Major new releases of macOS are no longer hidden when…
Wednesday May 27, 2020 2:42 am PDT by Tim Hardwick
HBO Max launched today, and is now available on Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad. WarnerMedia’s new streaming service, which replaces HBO Now, combines HBO content with shows and films from Warner Bros and Turner TV.
The service is available as a native app on the Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K, but second and third-generation Apple TV owners will need to AirPlay HBO Max content…
Friday May 29, 2020 10:00 am PDT by Eric Slivka
Following a couple of leaks in recent weeks, Beats today is officially announcing four new colors for its Powerbeats Pro wireless earphones: Spring Yellow, Cloud Pink, Lava Red, and Glacier Blue. The new earphones will go on sale June 9 and sell for the same $249.95 price as the existing color options.
Aside from the colors, the new Powerbeats Pro models are otherwise identical to the…
Wednesday May 27, 2020 12:47 pm PDT by Juli Clover
Anker, a brand normally known for its well-made, affordable accessories for Apple devices, has debuted a new $100 24K gold-plated USB-C to Lightning cable.
According to Anker, the cable, which is in the PowerLine III family, features a “Special Edition Gold Design” that’s “bold yet elegant” with the aforementioned gold-plated cable heads and matching braided gold and black cable.
Thursday May 28, 2020 10:50 am PDT by Juli Clover
Images of a new version of the Leather Loop that Apple appears to have in development surfaced yesterday, and today, Vietnamese site Tinhte.vn has shared additional photos and videos that give us a clearer picture of what to expect from the new band.
The bands come in colors that include red, hot pink, blue, black, and brown, with some of the bands featuring different colored accents at the…